Monday, January 16, 2012

I'm an uptight bitch

A little background...I live out in the country, it's pretty nice because of the quiet and the peace. It's also sucks because it takes so long to get back and forth from Isaiah's school and any kind of civilization. I live in a little community that my sister also lives in. She is 22 and has 3 kids and is pregnant with another one. I love my nieces and nephews to no end but my sister is another story. She's deaf and has always run with the assumption that because she is deaf that the world owes her everything. For some reason it's not as uncommon thinking as you would think in the deaf community. We moved here so that she could go to one of the best schools for the deaf- Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, so she has a pretty strong support system.

On to the real subject of this blog, as I said I live in a wooded, country-like area and our house is on an acre of land. My sister also lives out here and has about half an acre of land. When I was recently at her house she wanted to let the kids go out and play, But she wanted to stay inside and let my 5 year old be in charge of a 3,2 and 1 year old by himself outside with NO SUPERVISION! Needless to say I think that's fucking ridiculous and told her dumb ass exactly what I was thinking to which she told me I was a stuck up, prissy mother who needed to let her boys be boys and go outside.

Now I let my kids go outside and play all the time...Not by themselves and I don't particularly like them getting really dirty but the boys don't like to get really dirty either. They still play in the dirt with their monster trucks and dump trucks and all that, but they don't like to roll around in the mud and slap on their faces, mush it into their ears...stuff like that.  It really pissed me off what she said about being stuck up because I didn't want them to go outside by themselves! It's like she pays no attention to the news around us, that people snatch kids up everyday. But her reasoning of thinking it's okay to do this? Because of where we live.



Regardless of what she thinks I'm going to keep doing what's best for me and my family and try to help her understand that she can't let her young children outside unsupervised. We shall see if it makes any difference.

3 comments:

  1. not that i want to offend you or your sister, but if she's deaf, wouldn't it be even more dangerous to let them play outside unsupervised? she wouldn't be able to hear them yell when they fall and break their arm, or if a snake came into the yard (im aussie, that quite common here) or if one child decided to bite a chunk out of the other. i have 2 8yr old girls and a 3 yr old boy, there is no way known i would let them run around unsupervised. thats asking for trouble. GO You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah I completely agree! Especially since she's deaf she should be paying closer attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children that age can't be left unsupervised INSIDE never mind outside. You are completely right. Remember that name calling is the first defense of people with no logical arguments. It's a tip off that they don't know what the heck they're talking about. Stick to you guns, you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete